Good Friday is a religious event and most sacred in Christian community. People have different approch, when it comes to food on Good Friday. For most Christians I is a day of fasting and abstaining. Some Christians have an only sea food approach, which means that Friday during lent is the day to abstain from all meat, pork and chicken and only eat Fish during this period. Some Christian have a totally meatless approach, which means that they abstain even from fish during fasting and only eat vegetarian food.
2017 Good Friday recipes and meal Ideas
HOT CROSS BUN
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Spices: Cardamom, Nutmeg, Allspice (optional)
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1 package (2 1/4 Teaspoons) Active Dry Yeast
- 4 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup (additional) Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (heaping) Baking Powder
- 1 whole Egg White
- Splash Of Milk
- 1 whole Egg White
- Powdered Sugar
- Splash Of Milk
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, canola oil and 2 cup milk in a saucepan. Stir carefully till it gets warm but not boiling hot. Turn off heat to allow it to cool for about 30 minutes but it should remain warm.
- Add yeast over mixture then add 4 cups of flour and stir to combine till the mixture is sticky. Set it aside for 1 hour after covering with towel
- Add 1/2 cup flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and Stir till it is combined.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and lightly flour the surface.
- Press to slightly flatten dough.
- Sprinkle a couple tablespoons of the sugar/cinnamon mixture and one third of raisins.
- Then fold the dough over on itself and flatten again so the dough is “plain” again. Repeat the sugar/raisin process, and then fold the dough again and repeat till all the raisins are added to dough.
- Pinch off small ball size portion from the dough.
- quickly roll it into a ball with soured hands then place them on greased sheet
- Cover and allow rising in a warm place for at least 30 minutes
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Mix 1 egg white with a little milk and brush on each roll.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top of buns are good golden brown
- After removing cool them on a cooling rack.ICING
- Mix 1 egg white with enough powdered sugar for icing to be very thick and add in little milk for consistency.
- Add icing on bun in cross shape through a zip lock piping bag after making sure they are cool.
Read more about 2017 Good friday
Here are some delicious fish dishes for Good Friday Recipes
ASDA LEMON AND PARMESAN COD WITH HERBY MASH
- 750 g floury potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- Pinch of salt 175 ml
- fish stock
- 200 ml crème fraise
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- 750 g fish pie mix
- 2 egg yolks
- 60 g butter
- 200 ml milk
- 1 tbsp. plain flour
- In a saucepan add potatoes and cover them with water then add a large pinch of salt and let it boil. Partially cover the lid and let it simmer for 20 minutes or till potatoes are boiled.
- Drain water and mash potatoes with masher, Beat in egg yolks, 25 gram butter and 50 ml. milk and season with salt and pepper for taste.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C and place the remaining butter in a small saucepan and milk fish stock and flour and let it slowly boil, whisking constantly keep whisking till it became a smooth thick sauce.
- Remove from the heat and add in crème fraîche, tarragon zest and season with plenty of pepper and just a little salt and lemon zest.
- Check if there are any bones then spread sauce over oven proof dish. And add mash layer on top, working from the outside in take a fork and add rough texture over top layer.
- Bake for 35 minutes or till it becomes golden brown.
STEAMED SALMON AND VEGETABLE RICE BOWL
- 200g pak choi (chopped into chunky pieces)
- 200g brown rice
- 100g green beans
- 4 x 100 g salmon fillets
- 4 rice vinegar
- 1 golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp. sweet soy sauce
- 3 limes
- 1 red chili, deseeded and chopped
TO SERVE WITH
- 4 mixed seeds
- pickled ginger chopped (optional)
- 4 spring onions finely chopped
- Take a small bowl and mix in dressing ingredients.
- Boil the rice for about 15 minutes till they are cooked.
- In a steamer but vegetables and fish in layers and steam the fish for 5-8 minutes and the veg for 4-5 minutes until cooked through.
- Add rice in a bowl and layer with fish and vegetables.
- Pour some dressing and ingredients listed to serve with.
ONE PAN TIKKA SALMON AND JEWELED RICE
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 turmeric
- 3 tbsp. tikka curry paste
- 150ml pot natural low-fat yogurt
- 3 salmon fillets, skinned
- 2 olive oil
- 50g soft dried apricots chopped
- 200g brown basmati rice
- 100g pack pomegranate seeds
- small pack coriander, leaves picked
- Combine 1 tbsp. of curry paste and 2 tbsp. yogurt.
- Season the salmon and smear the yogurt paste all over the fillets, then set aside.
- Take a large pan and add oil to heat and onion.
- Boil the kettle.
- Cook the onion for 5 minutes to soften then stir in the remaining curry paste then cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the turmeric, apricots and rice stir it and season.
- Bring to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes. Cover with a lid, lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 minutes more.
- Uncover the rice and stir evenly.
- Put the salmon fillets on top of the rice and again cover the pan.
- Turn the heat to its lowest setting and let it cook for 15-20 minutes more until the salmon and rice are perfectly cooked.
- Scatter over the pomegranate seeds and coriander, and serve with the yogurt.
Here are some meatless Good Friday recipes to make the day special
SPICY CAULIFLOWER STIR FRY
- 1 whole Head Cauliflower
- 2 teaspoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 whole Lime (or Sub A Splash Of Rice Wine Vinegar)
- 2 whole Green Onions, Sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Hot Sauce
- Lime Wedges For Serving
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- Break he cauliflower on small parts
- Take a large skillet and heat over medium to high heat.
- Heat oil then add garlic and cauliflower.
- Stir the cauliflower in the pan and let it get light golden.
- Cook for 3 minutes and turn heat to low
- Add soy sauce, lime juice and sliced green onion(leave some for serving)
- Stir and allow to cook for 1 minute then add hot sauce over cauliflower and sir till mixed well
- Add hot sauce according to the level of flavor and color you require.
- Serve hot in a bowl. Sprinkle extra sliced green onions on top, and serve with a lime wedge
- 1 Tablespoon Butter Or Olive Oil
- 1/2 whole Red Onion, Halved And Sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup Feta Cheese Crumbles
- 1 whole Spinach Flour Tortilla (large)
- 1/4 cup Hummus
- 1 whole Roasted Red Pepper (jarred), Sliced
- 3 whole Canned Artichoke Hearts, Halved
- 2 cups Mixed Greens
- Heat a skillet on low and melt butter.
- Add red onions let it cook slowly for 10-15 minutes keep stirring occasionally till light golden brown
- Set aside to let them cool.
- Grill the tortilla for one minute over medium heat.
- Spread the hummus down the middle third of the tortilla to assemble wrap then arrange the cooked onion slices and the sliced roasted red peppers all over the hummus then add the artichoke heart halves.
- Toss the salad greens in the balsamic dressing then spread them on the wrap. Finally, sprinkle the crumbled feta all over the greens.
- Carefully wrap up the tortilla, tucking in the ends. Slice the wrap down the middle and serve.